The Lindenau shipyard
Double-hull tanker S270 with volume bulkhead under construction
The Lindenau GmbH Schiffswerft & Maschinenfabrik (shipyard) was founded in Memel in 1919 and is now one of the most innovative and productive middle-sized shipyards in Germany. Shortly before the end of the Second World War, the proprietor and many shipyard workers fled from the approaching Soviet troops across the Baltic to the west on board their largest floating dock. The shipyard was re-established in Kiel-Friedrichsort in 1947, under the direction of Paul Lindenau, first manufacturing machines and machine parts. The first new ships were launched already in 1952.
The Lindenau GmbH Schiffswerft & Maschinenfabrik (shipyard) still holds its own on the international market, especially in the field of safe, economical and environment-friendly double hull tankers, but other special ships are also produced here, and repair services are offered. The shipyard has 380 employees on a site covering about seven hectares, and has two floating docks with a lifting capacity of 1,500 tdw or 10,000 tons.
Model of a double hull tanker
Shipyard worker in the Lindenau yard, 1975
Pictorial material: Lindenau GmbH Schiffswerft & Maschinenfabrik
Where can you find this point?
Link to the city map